Sunday, February 24, 2008

Some Light at the End of the Tunnel

We shot the Brokeback Mountain stuff last week. We went up to Mt Hood and ended up shooting just down the road from the house. It went well. Kind of strange to be dressed as a cowboy all day, though out in East County nobody seemed to notice. It was also a bit strange to play off of the film now that Heath Ledger has died. But we don't reference the film in terms of character so it didn't feel so irreverent after we did our shots.
We're shooting a scene with Rose tomorrow; which will be her final scene, the final scene of the film as well as the last thing we are shooting for the entire film. It seems like we should have a wrap party, but with a third of our cast and crew of nine not living in Portland, it doesn't seem quite right.
While on the plane home from NY I had the idea of writing a song for the film. Since I've never written a song before I thought it would be one of those ideas that I would never get around to. However, I sat down last night and wrote it. I like it a lot. I may have Rose sing it. We'll see. I sent it to the composer last night.
Yes, we have a composer/music supervisor lined up for the film. His name is Mike Spicer. He's a very prolific musician and producer. If he can't do it, he knows the musicians in town that can. I know him from high school, where appropriately enough we became friends in a music class sophomore year. I later managed his band and he was one of the first people in my life to recognize and encourage me as and to be a storyteller. I hadn't seen him for twenty years, but we ran into each other and have reconnected in a profound way.
I got a notice from IFP, that's the Independent Feature Project, about their upcoming Rough Cut Lab. I had a screenplay selected for the IFP Market a few years ago, so I'm on their mailing list. I'm going to submit Made Crooked to the Lab. This year's Lab is being moderated by Scott Macaulay, independent producer and editor of Filmmaker Magazine. It's an opportunity to get some input on putting the final touches on the film as well as developing a festival and marketing strategy. It's also a chance to get an endorsement of sorts and to share the film with people outside of what's primarily been Jordan and me. The important thing for me isn't so much whether Made Crooked is selected but that it feels qualified for submission to such a thing.

Until Soon,
Neal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home